martes, 15 de abril de 2008

Ambitious Guest Letter

Written Work
by Diana Karen Navarro Nolasco

In the short story “The Ambitious Guest” by Nathaniel Hawthorne, they talk about a young man who came and stayed that night with a hospitable family. There was an accident and everyone in the family died, as well as the young man.

After finishing reading the short story, there are still some things that remain unknown about the young man. I thought it would be interesting to know who was he and where did he come from. That’s the reason why I decided to write a letter from this nameless man to an unknown addressee as well. The unknown addressee, is because the young man doesn’t have family nor anyone who cares what happens with him. This letter is supposed to be read after he becomes famous; when someone who is interested in his previous life finds it.

In the letter, it is explained by writing about his past and early life, who is this mysterious man and why he wants to get to Burlington. In order to clarify some ideas; like why no one would know he was at the kind family’s house that night, or there’s no one who even knows his name. The letter tries to explain the solitude he had and the desire of being remembered after his dead.

Barlett, September 13th

Tonight, I’m writing this letter just before I depart from Barlett. I don’t know yet who is going to read it; but I’m sure, after I become famous, someone will take his time to read it. I want to go far away from Barlett because this place brings me back really bad moments.

Apparently, I was born from an irresponsible teenager, who had a brief affair with a soldier. At least that’s what people at the orphanage had told me. Anyway, I can’t be sure about this, there are so many children there; they won’t remember how every one of us got in there. I don’t even know the accurate date when I was born; according to the director of the orphanage it was on November.

Not knowing who my parents are, or when I was born, had made me feel I have a lack of personality. Since I can remember, I have always wondered how it would be living with your family; knowing there is always someone supporting you; no mattering what happens.

However, living in an orphanage made me stronger. I learned I needed to work really hard so I could survive. I remember one winter night, when I was seven years old; I had to pick up logs to make a fire. I was by myself in the middle of the woods when I heard shots. I was extremely scared and I ran as fast as I could. The logs were too heavy and I dropped them so I could go faster; I was afraid a bullet could reach me.

When I arrived to the orphanage without any logs, the director beat me up because everyone will freeze. I guess that night was the coldest in my whole life; one friend died of hypothermia that night. That night, I swore no one would ill-treat me anymore.

When I turned ten, I left the orphanage and I started to work on a bakery shop. My boss was really nice to me, but she died a couple months after I started working for her. After that, I worked on a farm. The owners were an old married couple who exploited me. I learned with them the meaning of work “hard”. However, they paid me really good. I saved during the ten years I worked for them; from saving during ten years, that’s why now I can go away from this town.

I go because I want to forget my past, therefore change my future. “I have done nothing. Were I to vanish from the earth tomorrow, none would know of me” Therefore I go because I don’t want to be forgotten; I’ve always thought I will do big things that will be remembered. Hence, first I have to get to Burlington, where I have been told, people easily becomes famous there. I want to have a new life, be what I couldn’t before.

No one in this life deserves to be forgotten. I’m a fighter; I have gone through many hard things, and now nothing will stop me; not even Dead. “I cannot die till I have achieved my destiny. Then, let Death come! I shall have built my monument!"

Now I go; tomorrow I will have a new opportunity to change what I’ve done wrong. Tomorrow will be a second chance to start building a life where I am someone. I will go to pursue my dream of having a family and my so desired monument. Tomorrow will be a new day, where I won’t be forgotten.

A.N.M (A New Man)

No hay comentarios: